Part I Writing (30 minutes)
Directions: For this part, you are allowed 30 minutes to write a short essay entitled Education Pays based on the statistics provided in the chart below(Unemployment rate in 2010). Please give a brief description of the chart first and then make comments on it. You should write at least 120 words but no more than 180 words.
Part II Listening Comprehension (30 minutes)
Directions: In this section, you will hear 8 short conversations and 2 long conversations. At the end of each conversation, one or more questions will be asked about what was said. Both the conversation and the questions will be spoken only once. After each question there will be a pause. During the pause, you must read the four choices marked A), B), C) and D), and decide which is the best answer. Then mark the corresponding letter on Answer Sheet 2 with a single line through the centre.
1. [A] He needs another week for the painting.
[B] The painting was completed just in time.
[C] The building won’t open until next week.
[D] His artistic work has been well received.
2. [A] Go camping.
[B] Rent a tent.
[C] Decorate his house.
[D] Organize a party.
3. [A] She talked with Mr. Wright on the phone.
[B] She is about to call Mr. Wright’s secretary.
[C] She will see Mr. Wright at lunch time.
[D] She failed to reach Mr. Wright.
4. [A] He is actually very hardworking.
[B] He has difficulty finishing his project.
[C] He needs to spend more time in the lab.
[D] He seldom tells the truth about himself.
5. [A] Rules restricting smoking. [C] Smokers’ health problems.
[B] Ways to quit smoking. [D] Hazards of passive smoking.
6. [A] He is out of town all morning. [C] He has been writing a report.
[B] He is tied up in family matters. [D] He has got meetings to attend.
7. [A] He is not easy-going. [C] He is not at home this weekend.
[B] He is the speakers’ boss. [D] He seldom invites people to his home.
8. [A] Take a break.
[B] Refuel his car.
[C] Ask the way.
[D] Have a cup of coffee.
Questions 9 to 11 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
9. [A] They are as good as historical films. [C] They have greatly improved.
[B] They give youngsters a thrill. [D] They are better than comics on film.
10. [A] The effects were very good. [C] The plot was too complicated.
[B] The acting was just so-so. [D] The characters were lifelike.
11. [A] They triumphed ultimately over evil in the battle.